Which Conditions Are Eligible For Social Security Disability?
The Social Security Administration recognizes dozens of medical conditions, both physical ailments and mental impairments, as disabling. However, if you are seeking Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must meet specific medical criteria and demonstrate why your condition prevents you from working.
Skibiel Law in Jonesboro, Georgia, helps disability applicants meet the high burden of proof to win SSDI benefits. Our SSD lawyer welcomes individuals throughout Metro Atlanta, whatever your disability or disabilities may be. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.
Determining Your Eligibility For Benefits
Social Security Disability pays monthly income benefits to eligible persons. The amount of your benefits is based on how much you paid into the Social Security system through payroll deductions, subject to a maximum benefit.
You may be eligible to apply for SSDI benefits if:
- You are unable to find or sustain work because of your disability.
- You have been or expect to be out of work for 12 months.
- You have earned sufficient work credits in the last five years.
You may qualify for SSDI if you meet the stringent medical criteria of a listed impairment, or if you have multiple impairments that inhibit your ability to work. Claimants over the age of 50 and claimants with limited education also get special consideration because of their diminished employment prospects.
Our disability attorney will help you determine if you are eligible and how to present your claim in the most favorable light. We will help you in the initial application process, and we will represent you at your ALJ hearing if your claim is denied.
Qualifying Impairments Under Social Security Disability
You do not have to be bedridden to receive Social Security Disability benefits, but you must file under one of the SSA’s listed categories of impairments, such as:
- Mental health impairments, including depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or schizophrenia
- Mental impairments, including traumatic brain injury or learning disabilities
- Back and neck injuries
- Orthopedic injuries (broken bones)
- Arthritis and degeneration of joints
- Crohn’s disease and colitis
- Lung problems, including asthma, bronchitis, emphysema and COPD
- Complications of diabetes
- Fibromyalgia or lupus
- Multiple sclerosis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Leukemia or cancer
- Complex regional pain syndrome/RSD
- Congestive heart failure or ischemic heart disease
- Complications of stroke
- Liver disease
- Vision and hearing impairments
Diligent Advocacy For Disabled Individuals
There is little margin for error in the complex Social Security Disability system. Put your best forward by hiring a law firm with a history of effective representation on behalf of the injured and disabled.
- Workers’ Compensation
- What To Do If You’re Injured At Work Or On The Job
- What To Do If Your Claim Is Denied
- Workers’ Compensation Income Benefits
- Workers’ Compensation Medical Benefits
- Medical Treatment Problems
- Settlement of Workers’ Compensation Claims
- Independent Medical Evaluations
- Dealing With a Light Duty Work Release
- Catastrophic Injury and Death Cases
- Back, Neck and Herniated Disk Injuries
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Amputation Injuries
- Repetitive Use & Carpal Tunnel Injuries
- Knee, Ankle & Foot Injuries
- Work Injuries Involving Arms, Hands & Shoulders
- Loss Of Hearing Or Vision
- Burn Injuries
- Am I Entitled To Workers’ Compensation Benefits If I’m Fired After A Work Accident?
- When Am I Entitled To Workers’ Compensation Income Benefits?
- Can I Receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits As An Undocumented Worker?
- Who Is Responsible For Payment Of Workers’ Compensation Benefits To An Undocumented Worker?
- Can I Sue My Employer For A Work Injury?
- Can I Sue Someone Other Than My Employer For A Work Injury?
- Am I Entitled To Workers’ Compensation Benefits Following A Positive Drug Or Alcohol Test?
- Workplace Accidents
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Social Security Disability Insurance
-Royce – Fayetteville, Georgia – Work Injury
– Derry – Riverdale, Georgia – Work Injury
– Ronald – Stockbridge, Georgia – Work Injury
– Timmy A.